Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants

I really enjoyed this article and how it is so true that digital immigrants think there is only one way to teach.  I remember in high school that we had a few teachers that were "digital immigrants" and how they believe that they were getting through to the students with their old ways of reading a textbook to us.  Today students become bored really easy and to try and excite them with a textbook and a mono-toned voice is the worst way of teaching to digital natives.  I believe digital natives need other sources like music to help them relax and enjoy reading.  Digital Natives are considered to be able to multitask with ease.  And with that said teachers should try and accommodate every students learning ability and not just say there is only way to learn like for instance the "digital immigrants" would say there is.  Hopefully in the future it will be easier for me as a educator to accommodate students needs as the technological world will be even more advanced then today.

3 comments:

  1. It seems like it's difficult for the digital immigrants to adapt to the changing learning styles that involve more technology. I wonder, though, if their hesitancy has more to do with an insecurity around newer technology than being resistant to it. It would be interesting to poll teachers and see how they feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that the digital immigrants are stuck in their old ways of teaching. I wish that they would understand that not implementing technology in their classroom is preventing their students from learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there are tons of possibilities for accommodating all students and their various learning strategies. It just takes a person with an open mind and the willingness to think outside of the box in order to find and/or create the accommodations. As future teachers it is important that we learn how to find the various ways. ~JoDee

    ReplyDelete